For those of you who know me, or have had a consult, you know this is one of my favourite tools to help you best navigate your health and wellness!
So, what is it all about? What results can you expect? And how can it guide your health and wellness journey? I’ve summarised all this in today’s blog post – I hope you find it useful.
What is DNA testing?
As individuals, we all have different genetics, different lifestyles and of course, different nutritional needs. That’s why what works for one person, will not necessarily work best for you (cue – please don’t follow a fad diet because your friend told you to!).
The genes in our body make up what is referred to as our ‘DNA’. DNA testing analyses your personal genetic makeup, and uses the latest scientific evidence to help tailor your diet and lifestyle to best influence your health.
To best discover how your diet and lifestyle impacts your health and performance, DNA testing takes out the guesswork, and enables a plan to be personalised to suit you, and only you!
Who would benefit from it?
DNA testing for nutrition and lifestyle impacts can be helpful for a variety of people, especially those looking to:
- Discover more about certain food intolerances
- Understand more about healthy weight management – and what that looks like for you
- Learn about how your food responds to the core food groups, and how you can balance your plate to best maximise nutrition outcomes
- See how dietary aspects such as salt intake may potentially impact your health (are you more or less sensitive to health effects of excess salt in the diet?)
- Understand how your body metabolises certain key vitamins
- Discover how well you process caffeine and how late to have that last coffee of the day
- Become more aware of your body and its specific and unique needs
What does it test?
This can vary from test to test, but most DNA tests that focus on diet and lifestyle, asses for the below genes, and match up to recommendations to best positively impact your health and wellness outcomes:
- Weight management insights – appetite, fat storage, fat burning
- Caffeine metabolism (effect on sleep and caffeine metabolism)
- B vitamins insights – how your body processes these and what foods you can prioritise to best nourish your body
- Heart health insights – such as how you process dietary fats, fibre and omegas
- Fitness insights – should you focus on power or endurance? How prone are you to injuries?
The test report provides a comprehensive list of your genetic makeup, and how this responds to diet and lifestyle measures. It then, in consultation with a nutritionist, helps you navigate some dietary changes that are designed to improve your health – whatever that means for you!
How can I get tested?
It’s easy! Book an initial consult with me – and we will complete a comprehensive health and wellness analysis. If DNA testing is one of the things that could help you reach your goals, I will order it through Nutripath, my pathology testing partner.
How do I complete the test?
It is so simple! An easy swab of the inside of your mouth (easier than a rapid antigen test!) – the test kit is delivered to your door in 1-2 days, and results take around 4 weeks.
Keen for more info?
Yours in health & wellness